Saturday, January 28, 2012

Why doesn't Amazon sell free time?

I haven't posted on my blog in awhile. I'm aware of this and I'm sorry if your lives have been duller because of it. I post all the time in my head, though. Finding the time to put it to digital paper is quite another thing.

This year, I made some serious resolutions. The amount of time (or lack thereof) in my day is always a problem for me. I feel rushed, I feel out of control, I feel like I can't do what I want to do. This year, my resolutions are all aimed at (partially) solving that problem.

No, Amazon doesn't sell more time.

But in the last three weeks, I've learned that finding a way to manage the time I have is almost just as good. After four years of being a stay-at-home mom, I finally found a daily schedule and routine that works for me. This is no small thing, I assure you. I also moved personal prayer and scripture study to the top of my list. I do it first thing in the morning and it's really become like coffee for me. {If I drank coffee, which I don't, but if I did that's what it would be like...} My years of experience have taught me that if I put my spirituality first, somehow things go smoother, I work faster and more cheerfully, and I have more time. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. And don't ask me why I threw that lesson out the window after I had kids, I just did.

Not a spiritual person? Well, I have to say you're probably missing out. But try meditating or big-time service work. Do it. And in a month, I'll tell you, "You're welcome."

So, what will I do with all my "extra" time in the year 2012? I won't waste anymore of it on The Office, that's for sure. So far, it's been spent sewing and crafting and spending time with the kids. The latter is most important and with this springtime January (last week hit the 70's, people!), kid time means time in the backyard and at the parks. And when the springtime showers come through, it means snuggling on my bed reading books, playing silly games and listening to music.

But most likely, I'll do what I've always wanted to do and spend it with my nose in a book. And yes, my friends, Amazon sells plenty of those.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I can relate! A couple years ago I started trying to get up an hour or so before the kids (no easy feat for me) and begin my day with scripture study, exercise, solitude, etc. It makes a HUGE difference for me! I start the day calm instead of rushed. Of course, sometimes I sleep in, but on those days it just doesn't click as well and I feel like less gets done. Good luck!

Sara said...

I understand your need for more time and at least feeling more in control. I hope you still find time to post, I love reading your posts...you're just so witty.