Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tomato Grits

I didn't make it to the grocery store last night before supper, so new recipes will begin tonight (come back tomorrow for Honey Lime Enchiladas!) But I didn't want to leave anyone looking for a recipe today disappointed so I thought I'd post one of my own. I don't have a picture of it, just a picture representing how my family feels after we eat it.

I LOVE this recipe because you can make it for breakfast, brunch or dinner! For my Western family, this might be a good way to introduce your family to the wholesome, wonderful, marvelous Southern staple of grits. It took me FOUR YEARS to like grits but now I absolutely couldn't do without them. I got this recipe from a lady at church. I met her two years ago and she has become my guru of fine Southern cooking. She is so good at it!


How my kids look after eating grits in any form or fashion.

Tomato Grits
3 slices bacon, crisped & crumbled
2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. quick-cooking grits
1 can Ro-tel
1 c. shredded cheese
1/2 c. sour cream

In a medium saucepan mix broth, bacon, Ro-tel and salt. Bring to boil. Add grits and stir well. Simmer on low, covered, 15-20 min. stirring as needed. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and cheese until cheese is melted.

If you're a Southerner, you might be tempted to add more salt, since that doesn't look like a suitable amount. DON'T! The chicken broth, cheese and bacon have enough salt to compensate. If you're a Westerner, think of grits like cream of wheat: it has a tendency to clump. Stir the grits in slowly and use a whisk if it looks like it's clumping together. Keep the dish warm until you serve it; as grits cool they have a tendency to solidify. Also, if you Westerners care to try plain grits, salt the water more than what it says on the package. Also use liberal amounts of water...you want your grits creamy.  Enjoy!

No comments: