Thursday, November 18, 2010

Honey Lime Enchiladas


The note sent with this recipe promised me enchiladas like I've never had before. So true! This recipe is a really wonderful departure from your usual red sauce enchiladas or (worse) the ones made with cream of mushroom soup. These are sweet, not too spicy and much too good! And the smell when you open your oven...mmm...mmm...mmm. I woke up this morning with my mouth watering for leftovers. I make a complicated green enchilada from scratch, but I think this is almost just as good (for being in a class by itself) with half the work. So easy to make and so easy to eat!

Honey Lime Enchiladas
6 Tbsp. honey
5 Tbsp. lime juice (or 3-4 limes)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (one rotisserie chicken)
8-10 tortillas
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1 cup whipping cream

Mix first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let marinate for at least 1/2 hour or more.

Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Fill tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese.

Mix remaining enchilada sauce with the whipping cream and leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.

Bake for 30 min. in a 350 degree oven.

The little comments in black are what I used for the recipe. This is a great way to use leftover chicken, but since I didn't have any I took a little help from my local deli. The rotisserie chicken made it a snap to make. I used two 10-oz. cans of green enchilada sauce which gave me enough of the final sauce to pass around the table with the enchiladas and keep for another day. (I'm thinking it will be a great addition to quesadillas or even chips. This sauce is sooooo good!) I served it with Spanish Rice, which nobody really ate. These enchiladas were definitely the star.

RATINGS (out of 5 Yummies):
TASTE: 4.5  
a definite encore was requested with a slight recipe adjustment
PRESENTATION: 4.5 
this is so appetizing on a plate, especially when topped with additional sauce; more color (like green chilies or something on top) would make it a 5
EASE OF PREPARATION: 4
roasting your own chicken will add to this and marinating means advance prep, though the recipe itself is EASY
OLIVIA FACTOR: 1  
she didn't even try it,  but take heart in knowing she doesn't eat "mixed together" foods
COMPOSITE: 3.5
nothing wrong with this recipe except Miss O!

I should note here that the Olivia Factor is replacing the cost factor. Like I'm really organized enough to keep track of that stuff. If Olivia doesn't eat the dish, you get a one. If she asks for more you get a five. It's admittedly pretty tough to get a five since the only thing she really asks for more of is deli ham. So don't feel bad. 

1 comment:

Tiff said...

Just thought that I would add that my kids LOVE these enchiladas! They always ask for seconds and then we don't have leftovers! I'm going to have to start making two batches so I can enjoy it more.