Thursday, December 2, 2010

Meatballs

Sorry it's taken me so long to get this next recipe up. I have not forgotten about this little contest, Thanksgiving just happened, that's all! We had this Monday night, but every time I sat down to type it up the kids tried to burn the house down (metaphorically speaking...my lungs are still smoke-free.) Also, in case you didn't notice, I have my scoring system posted in my right-hand sidebar.


 This recipe claimed to be a family favorite. All I can say is that if you like meatloaf and meatballs you will like this recipe. And if you don't like meatloaf and meatballs you will probably still like this recipe. My husband's not a big fan of either (I am) but he said this could go into the rotation. The homemade sauce is so wonderful and it gave me a chance to try something new: liquid smoke. Serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans, the way I did, and you have an easy and classic home cooked meal.

Meatballs
3 lbs hamburger
2 c. quick oats
1 (13oz) can evaporated milk (I had a 12 oz. can & it worked fine)
chopped onion (or onion flakes)
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. chili powder (optional) (I used it and it wasn't spicy)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and make into handful-sized balls. You should get somewhere in the neighborhood of 20, give or take a few depending on the size of your hand. Place in a greased 13x9 casserole dish. (I had to use two dishes).

Sauce 
2 c. ketchup
1-1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. liquid smoke (found by bbq sauce at store)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together well and pour over uncooked meatballs. Bake at 350 for 1 hour covered with foil. Take foil off to see if done and if not bake for 10 more minutes. 

I did not use chopped onion in my meatballs and I was really worried that they would be dry. I couldn't have been more wrong. That evaporated milk keeps them moist and slightly sweet. The sauce is delicious and is definitely going into my recipe box for everything from chicken to hamburgers. 

Other reasons I loved these: they freeze super easy (which is good because this recipe makes so many) and the leftovers are super versatile. We're having some tonight in the form of Meatball Sandwiches, another contest recipe.

RATINGS (out of 5 Yummies):
TASTE: 4.5  
a definite encore was requested and it's not even a typical favorite!
PRESENTATION: 4 
this is what I call a hearty dish and I have no idea how to make it pretty, but it definitely looks appetizing!
EASE OF PREPARATION: 4.5
this is a make it and forget it recipe with minor assembly required
OLIVIA FACTOR: 3.5 
she ate half of her little kid-sized portion and told me it was "sooo yummy"
COMPOSITE: 4.1
when you take out the Olivia Factor, this recipe is pretty close to perfect!
 

No comments: