Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ritzy Chicken


I made this Friday but I took the picture with Aubrey's cell phone so it took a few days for me to extract it and post it--hence the delay. This recipe is really similar to the Ranch Chicken recipe (see previous post). There are a few ingredient changes, however. It's good to have a couple of these combinations on hand, I think, to fit whatever you have hanging out in your pantry. I have made a version of this several times before, except I coat the chicken in mayonnaise and then spices, crackers and cheese. But this chicken comes out just as tender and really juicy. Another good staple to add to the Busy Night Menus list!

Ritzy Chicken
3-4 chicken breasts, halved
20 crushed Ritz crackers 
1 Tbsp. dried parsley 
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (like for spaghetti)
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Pour enough melted butter into a 9x13 pan to coat the bottom; the rest will be used to coat your chicken.
In another bowl, combine all other ingredients. Roll the chicken in the butter, then the dry ingredients. Place in the baking dish and sprinkle any remaining crumbs and butter on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until done. Serve with Lipton's Creamy Chicken Rice and green beans, or your family's favorite vegetable.

It's really too bad I don't have a Price Factor for this little contest; he eats everything you give him. But this chicken came out so good and juicy that I couldn't cut pieces up fast enough for him to shovel into his tiny little maw of a mouth. Olivia ate most of her portion as well, though I confess it wasn't with as much gusto. I didn't halve my chicken as the recipe instructs (and as I normally do) because I couldn't find my cuttingboard and I was in a big hurry to get it in the oven. I baked two chicken breasts at 350 and it only needed somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes more to finish baking. 

I also like this recipe because it introduced me to easy-to-make sides. I don't use help very often so it was good to be "forced"! The rice (Lipton rice is now found under the "Knorr" label) was super easy to make and came out perfect. My family also really like it. Perhaps I will start using something like that on my busy nights. 

RATINGS (out of 5 Yummies):
TASTE: 4.5 
chicken was great and the rice was good and flavor was what I expected it to be
PRESENTATION: 4 
it looks completely appetizing, unfortunately the type of recipe it is means it's not completely wowing--but when you're family's eating at 100 mph, nobody's stopping to look at your plating
EASE OF PREPARATION: 5
easy, easy , easy
OLIVIA FACTOR: 4.5 
she ate all of the chicken and most of her rice; in fact, the inclusion of the rice in the recipe bumped it up over Ranch Chicken as Olivia's favorite
COMPOSITE: 4.5
all-around good meal




1 comment:

Leah said...

Are you tired of chicken yet? You really need to make my pork chops! Oh I see your just saving the best for last.;)