Tuesday, December 14, 2010

And now for something mushy...

I would like to interrupt this cooking contest I have going on to insert some actual real-life events. Today Aubrey and I celebrate our eighth wedding anniversary. He treated me early yesterday by doing several loads of laundry and two loads of dishes...it was one of those days. In fact, it's probably the way he does those things that is one of the best and most difficult things for me to understand in my marriage.

I'm a talker; Aubrey is not. (Is this really a revelation to anyone?) And while he tells me he loves me rather generously, that's about where the flowery speeches end. If you can call "I love you" flowery. Hallmark cards really speak best for him. So what does he do? Only everything for me. And what do I do? I immediately think he's doing it because I don't do it well enough for his standards. After eight years, it's still my first thought. And, after eight years, the thought that comes immediately after is that my standards are his standards because I'm his gold standard. And I don't need him to say any words to know that.

I love my husband who gives me all he can. He's patient and kind with me and in all our years of marriage the only time he has ever raised his voice to me is if I'm in the other room. He's a wonderful father and is never too busy to play with his children. They come running from all corners of the house the minute they hear that front door open. He's my umbrella, my leaning post, my anchor, my flashlight and, occasionally, my maid. Happy Anniversary!


Fall 2002

December 14, 2002

Christmas 2004


August 2006

September 2007

October 8, 2009

Spring 2010


August 2010


November 2010

5 comments:

tracyp said...

Love the pics down memory lane. I think your a gold standard for many of us. Happy Anniversary to some of my favorite people!!

Leah said...

So sweet! It will be our 7th anniversary this Saturday. Now I have to come up with something sweet to say too! Probably can't top yours though.

Unknown said...

hi,
this is prasad just now i read u r blog.belated happy marriage aniversary .

nowellmama said...

Congrats. We hit our 11th. Time flies. Wanted to suggest the book The five love languages by gary chapman. maybe you have heard of it and the ideas. i had, but reading the book was nice too. People give and receive love in different ways. Some physical touch, others verbal words, or service, or quality time. Check it out. Wish all newlyweds had it.

Desiree said...

l demand another post!