Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cumin Grilled Pork Chops

Did you think I'd forgotten about my recipe contest! No! I have several I need to post, I just have to find time to post them. I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago and was nervous about how it would turn out. Why? Because I planned making it on a Friday and then realized we were actually going out to eat with friends that night. But the pork chops had already been thawed and in the fridge for two days and based on my calculations of purchase date and time passed I was afraid they would go bad if I didn't use them. So, I snitched a bite before feeding my kids and then I rewarmed them in the oven that weekend for supper. Both times they were excellent! I also apologize for not using an original picture; my phone camera is not working right, so this comes straight from the original cook.







Cumin Grilled Pork Chops
6 center-cut boneless pork chops
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Place the pork chops in a casserole dish lying flat; stick multiple times on all sides with a fork. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the pork chops. Marinate for 4-6 hours, turning once. Remove from the fridge the last hour before grilling them.
Grill on medium-low heat for five minutes on each side, or until cooked through. You can brush with left over marinade while grilling for added flavor, but discard marinade when finished.

It is really important that you marinade these for the right amount of time. The first time I made them, their marinading was cut short and the flavor really suffered. The second time, I marinaded them overnight because I knew the next day would be really busy. Wow. Big difference.  If you're worried about spice from the cumin, don't be. It's more smokey tasting anyway and in this recipe it just kind of hangs out in the background. But, by all means, add more of it if you want a bigger kick.

These pork chops are really flavorful and moist--even when you make them two days before you actually eat them and then warm them up in the oven! Also, they are incredible fast and easy. If you remember to marinade them early, cooking and serving them is a no-brainer. The recipe is simple, too, and uses stuff you probably already have. Even though it calls for boneless center-cut, any pork chop would work here and be great. Also, Mother Nature forced me to grill indoors and still I had no problem serving up a great meal. I served my pork chops with rice and glazed mixed vegetables. It came together perfectly.


RATINGS (out of 5 Yummies):
TASTE: 4.5 
so good and juicy, but for my family I think it needs a little more cumin
PRESENTATION: 5 
did you look at the picture? 'cause that's exactly what it looks like
EASE OF PREPARATION: 5
making the marinade couldn't be easier, then all that's left is to let it do the work for you--as long as you remember to marinade the pork chops early, this is a great busy-night dinner
OLIVIA FACTOR: 3 
she ate one little piece and was done, but I know she likes pork chops so I know we can make this recipe work for her
COMPOSITE: 4.4
the grown-ups love this one, Olivia not so much--she is really bringing y'all down!